The Berkeley County Public Service Water District (District) is looking for an individual to administer the construction activities including developer projects and capital improvements. The District needs to invest more than $120,000,000 in the next 7 years to serve the needs of the community.
The District provides water service to 30,000 accounts over an area that stretches from the Maryland to the Virginia border along RT 81. The District is growing at a rapid pace adding 2.5 new meter connections every day of the year.
This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to play an important role in a community and take advantage of less congestion and wide-open spaces. The area offers many outdoor recreational activities, has numerous historical destinations within an hour’s drive and you can be in downtown Washington, DC in 1.5 hours. There are numerous farms and other open spaces and traffic is not a daily concern. Housing costs remain reasonable with many options available and plenty of room to spread out. We are close to multiple hospitals and shopping opportunities.
The individual will assist with Capital Programs, focused on driving improvements in our capital planning and project execution, reducing the time from concept to project delivery through the development of efficient processes. You will support staff to ensure projects are executed efficiently and ethically by managing internal, external resources and third-party contractors.
The right person will have a strong desire to contribute to the ideal of providing the community with the best possible water service and a relentless desire to seek improvement in all we do. The individual should have a strong desire to help others succeed and be focused on achieving results. Successful alignment and adherence to accepted project management practices will empower the team to deliver projects efficiently, on scope, on schedule, and on budget.
- Manages multiple project and engineering teams to ensure projects are completed with established standards, best practices, and to a high level of quality
- Ensures that projects are properly scoped to meet the needs of the district, including all operational safety, environmental responsibility, and product quality standards.
- Ensures the proper project management controls are followed to deliver projects on the agreed scope.
- Ensures that projects are actively managed to deliver within the available budget.
- Ensures that internal and external engineering and project management teams execute projects in line with all local laws and standards.
- Coordinates the efficient execution of annual capital projects.
- Serve as staff lead for developing reports and presentations for committee meetings.
- Prepare and administer public bidding for services, construction and materials.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or related engineering discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a construction of water systems and construction activities.
- At least 3 years’ experience supervising others
- a positive attitude with a unwavering desire to assist others
- The ability to administer construction contracts and other more complicated administrative duties.
- Knowledge of computer applications: spreadsheets, letter writing, work order management, GIS, AutoCAD.
- Experience in Continuous Improvement
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- A positive attitude focused on ambition, accomplishment and serving others
- Professional Engineer Certification
- Licensure in Water Treatment and/or Water Distribution
- PMP Certification or demonstrated experience in collaborating with a Project Management Office is desirable
- The District offers a very desirable list of benefits including a State Retirement Pension Plan and flexible work week options.
- The salary for the position will be based on qualifications and experience.
- Relocation assistance is available with this position.
Berkeley County Public Service Water District is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.